Eight years ago, this morning brought a new dawn on my life. It was my first day of what has become eight years of sobriety. The days and months and years leading up to that morning were a personal nightmare of untold proportions, a story I share in full with no one, and in part with only those I trust with the details. Most others simply know what I have already said...it was a nightmarish time, in which I was rebellious to God and destructive to myself. But praise be to God and my glorious Savior Jesus Christ, I was granted the gift of desperation, and surrendered control of my life to Him. The day of that decision was the hardest, most beautiful day of my entire life. I would probably still rank it that. I was blessed with a level of suffering that was intense enough that I could not live like that anymore, and I thank God for it and for rescuing me from it every time I think of it.
There may be time on this blog later for a testimony, something someone may need to hear. Today is not that day. Today, I am celebrating. I am celebrating the gift of sobriety I was given on this day eight years ago, and the way my life was transformed by His grace from darkness to light. I will forever be grateful to God, to my sister for pushing me to ask for help, and to my parents for supporting me before, during, and after the process, and to my friends that managed to stick around, and to the program of AA for providing me with a process I could simply (not easily) walk through to come to a place of healing.
Eight years. Wow.
4 comments:
I am so proud of you Michelle and am thankful you made that step. Many nights I lay in the bed worrying about you and afraid I was going to get THE PHONE CALL that is every parents nightmare. I am so thankful I did not. I sleep now, knowing you are safe in God's hands. I love you.
Happy re-Birthday!!! Look at the amazing freedom and beautiful family God has blessed you with for trusting in HIM!! I owe him many thanks myself! Glad I can celebrate (long distance :oD) with you!!
<3 Megan
Hi! You changed your blog. I like it!
I as well remember this day! WOW! This was one of the happiest day in my life! As you remember I was very worried about you at that time and refused to party with everyone one, because not only because I changed my life for being a new mom, I knew that it was all wrong! That it would not only be an occasional thing! I too had many sleepless nights 8 years ago! Not only because of the new baby, but waiting up to hear when and if you came home every night! I remember a huge sigh of relief on this very same day! Remembering how brave you were to be able to open up to your parents and get the help you needed! I love you soooooo very much and I am very very very proud of you!!! XOXOXO
Post a Comment