Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 5th, 2008

In the last few days I've been considering many things which are in regards to my individual and shared journeys through different types of church leadership, my personal quest for truth and right understanding in all matters of faith in Christ and of the admonitions of the apostles, the practical application of the biblically defined roles of pastor, elder and deacon, as well as the biblically outlined traits of wholesome existence within a small group of believers. So where am I? I am standing at what I believe is a defining point in the leadership of my family. I am facing the challenge of maximizing my ability to provide for my growing family, both financially and spiritually, amidst economic hardships and a lack of a church home, as well as being up against my own shortcomings in the role of head of the house.

The one thing that I find consistent is the desire to improve upon the situation by responding with a holy mind set and adjusting to the circumstance. I am aware that I am mostly new at this, however, I am also aware that I no longer have the luxury of making mistakes with as little of consequence as I once did when I was single. There is now more at stake than my own immediate existence. That being said, I believe it is vital for me to personally pursue everything that the Bible admonishes us to practice, as well as to take on the full responsibility of pursuing all levels of provision for my family. It may sound elementary in essence, but it is quite extensive in practice.

Because of the fact that there was not an issue of doctrine, or acceptable practice of doctrine, among the apostles and their disciples, I am compelled to know as they knew, to understand as they understood, and to practice as they practiced in their daily walk with Christ, in accordance with my own spiritual gift, but never neglecting the basic responsibilities which are to be shared by all believers; that is to walk worthy of our calling in Christ, to love each other with a responsibility to each others wellness, and to have ourselves prepared to deliver the hope of the Gospel to all sinners.

So what is my response to this awareness? I will strive to be ever increasingly devoted to the study of God's word for the sake of discernment in all matters, to be connected as a member within an established church for the sake of learning together and serving together with those to whom I will be joined with as a body under qualified leadership, as well as to apply the abilities which I have been given for the sake of being useful in the edification of believers and the education of sinners unto salvation.

No comments: